Sixth International Workshop on Text-Based Information Retrieval
Linz, Austria, August 31 - September 4
Intelligent algorithms for mining and retrieval are the key technology to cope with the information need challenges in our media-centered society. Methods for text-based information retrieval receive special attention, which results from the important role of written text, from the high availability of the Internet, and from the enormous importance of Web communities.
Advanced information retrieval and extraction uses methods from different areas: machine learning, computer linguistics and psychology, user interaction and modeling, information visualization, Web engineering, artificial intelligence, or distributed systems. The development of intelligent retrieval tools requires the understanding and combination of the achievements in these areas, and in this sense the workshop provides a common platform for presenting and discussing new solutions.
The following list organizes classic and ongoing topics from the field of text-based IR for which contributions are welcome:
- Theory. Retrieval models, language models, similarity measures, formal analysis
- Mining and Classification. Category formation, clustering, entity resolution, document classification, learning methods for ranking
- Web. Community mining, social network analysis, structured retrieval from XML documents
- NLP. Text summarization, keyword extraction, topic identification
- User Interface. Paradigms and algorithms for information visualization, personalization, privacy issue
- User Context. Context models for IR, context analysis from user behaviour and from social networks
- Multilinguality. Cross-language retrieval, multilingual retrieval, machine translation for IR
- Evaluation. Corpus construction, experiment design, conception of user studies
- Semantic Web. Meta data analysis and tagging, knowledge extraction, inference, and maintenance
- Software Engineering. Frameworks and architectures for retrieval technology, distributed IR
The workshop is held for the sixth time. In the past, it was characterized by a stimulating atmosphere, and it attracted high quality contributions from all over the world. In particular, the organizers encourage participants to present research prototypes and demonstration tools of their research ideas.
- April 1, 2009 Deadline for paper submission
- April 20, 2009 Notification to authors
- May 15, 2009 Camera-ready copy due
- August 31, 2009 Workshop opens
Contributions will be peer-reviewed by at least two experts from the related field. Accepted papers will be published as IEEE proceedings by IEEE CS Press.